Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Painted Furniture

I have to say that I do prefer painted furniture over natural wood. I love how the painting, distressing and antiquing brings out the details... especially if the piece is ornate. Over the past 5 years since opening my store I have painted a lot of furniture. So many I can't remember them all. I often forget to take before and after pictures so must try and remember to do this more often.
vintage desk I recently painted
It always amazes me to see what transformation has taken place with just paint! I only use acrylic paint (easy clean-up) on my furniture. I love the worn look so will often do a little distressing and then finish up with some clear and dark wax. A number of months ago I was visting the "Miss Mustard Seed" blog http://missmustardseed.blogspot.com/ and came across a posting about a new paint product she had tried and just couldn't say enough wonderful things about it. It turns out this new paint is "Annie Sloan Chalk Paint" (not to be confused with chalk board paint).

Annie Sloan is from Oxford England and wrote the book "Creating the French Look"  http://www.anniesloan.com/index.html . She developed her own line of paint to answer the need she had for a paint which would have many uses; from acting like limewash to looking like old painted furniture and had a good range of colour that could be extended by the user.

I love this piece....made to look old and worn
I have since tried this paint myself and I have to say it truly is a wonderful product.You can use it on any surface; wood, metal,indoors and out. There is also no need to prime or prep before painting. It covers usually in one coat. It does give you a matt finish and feels a little rough to the touch when first painted on after drying. However the magic happens when you sand it down. You end up with a soft smooth velvety finish. Finish off your piece with a little distressing, a coat of clear wax which gives it a nice light sheen and dark wax as needed for some antiqing. It comes in wonderful colors with names like Old White, Paris Grey, French Linen and Duck Egg Blue.


vintage chair I refurbished using chalk paint in "Old White"



The good news is that this paint is now available in Canada. Just go to the North American Distribution site at http://www.anniesloanunfolded.com/retailers.html and click on the map to find a retailer in your area.

Happy painting!



No comments:

Hello Bonjour....

Well this is my first attempt at blogging! It's been quite a year and a half for me. I retired from the Federal Government after 34 years and in October 2006, I started a new retail store called "French Vanilla Home and Garden". In July 2007 I launched my store's e-commerce website and now this....blogging! Who would have thought! Has it been challenging?....a bit, stressful?.... some days, rewarding?....most definitely! I love owning my own retail store, filling it with things I love and helping my customers find that perfect item or gift! I am enjoying this new phase of my life and look forward to learning new things, having new adventures and making new friends along the way!

Sheila
(established July/2008)