Friday, April 24, 2009

For the love of Toile..

I have always been a fan of "toile". Toile de Jouy, sometimes abbreviated to simply "toile" (pronounced "twall"), is a type of decorating pattern consisting of a usually white or off-white background generally depicting a charming scene of country life. Toile de Jouy originated in France in the late 1700s. In the French language, the phrase literally means "cloth from Jouy-en-Josas", a town of north-central France. Although it has been continuously produced since then, it experienced a marked upsurge in popularity around the year 2000. Toile fabric is ideal for French country, romantic country or Provencal decors. Toile comes in many fabrics and colors and instantly dresses up any room. It can be used in a variety of ways to add some distinctive french style to your home, from the bathroom shower curtain to the dining room wallpaper. If you're timid, toile is not for you: you can't use just a little. And don't use another busy fabric along with toile. Instead complement it with small checks and stripes or a plain, bold color.
Note: This beautiful cream and french blue toile bedding can be special ordered through my boutique.

2 comments:

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

Sheila, it was a pleasure meeting you at the Farm Chicks Antique Show in Spokane last week.... I am so honored that you loved our booth and purchased some of our original creations. Thank you again!

Deb Kennedy
Retreat by KENNEDY|kennedy Design
http:retreatdesign.blogspot.com
Camano Island, Washington, USA

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog! GREAT idea!! Im so into french design lately and this was really cute to read, thanks for sharing! xo - from Canada

Hello Bonjour....

Well this is my first attempt at blogging! It's been quite a year and a half for me. I retired from the Federal Government after 34 years and in October 2006, I started a new retail store called "French Vanilla Home and Garden". In July 2007 I launched my store's e-commerce website and now this....blogging! Who would have thought! Has it been challenging?....a bit, stressful?.... some days, rewarding?....most definitely! I love owning my own retail store, filling it with things I love and helping my customers find that perfect item or gift! I am enjoying this new phase of my life and look forward to learning new things, having new adventures and making new friends along the way!

Sheila
(established July/2008)