Wednesday, July 23, 2008

French at Heart...

Because I have a "French Country" store my customers often ask me if I'm French? My response is "no I'm actually of Welsh and English heritage". What is it about "old world charm" when it comes to decorating? I love the French Country look. To me it's romantic, casual yet elegant with just a touch of rustic flair thrown in. I love the warm colors of Provence... yellows, orange reds, greens, periwinkle blue. I always paint my furniture cream (not in to the dark wood tones other than on my floor) then distress and antique it a little. And of course you must have a touch of black or dark brown thrown in to ground the space like a wrought iron chandelier with crystals hanging down. And no Country French home would be complete without flowers. Any kind of flowers will work, but don’t forget to include a bunch of lavender here and there to really get the feel of the French countryside. Yes, I may have been born in Canada but I really am "French at Heart".

No comments:

Hello Bonjour....

Well this is my first attempt at blogging! It's been quite a year and a half for me. I retired from the Federal Government after 34 years and in October 2006, I started a new retail store called "French Vanilla Home and Garden". In July 2007 I launched my store's e-commerce website and now this....blogging! Who would have thought! Has it been challenging?....a bit, stressful?.... some days, rewarding?....most definitely! I love owning my own retail store, filling it with things I love and helping my customers find that perfect item or gift! I am enjoying this new phase of my life and look forward to learning new things, having new adventures and making new friends along the way!

Sheila
(established July/2008)